Monday, December 29, 2008

Back on Deck







Well I had not realised it was so long since beginning here. 2008 has just wizzed by with not a post!! Although not new year yet I have resolved to try and keep up here. I admire those that regularily keep up with their blogs.

So I have been busy sewing and have had two disasters ( a skirt and a dress) in which I learnt to try out a pattern in inexpensive fabric first. You would think that I would know this but obviously need to relearn this. I am happy to relate that I have had sucess at last. .






I made this OOP Burda 8018 that I bought from trademe.co.nz (similar to ebay) for $2.50. It is for polar fleece but I liked the simple lines. I have a white overembroidered guaze/organza that is similar to polarfleece in terms of movement - more board like that fluid. I always have thought to make this fabric up as a jeans jacket but the many seams would not do justice to the beautiful fabric. So I thought this pattern would be ideal.














I found this silk jacquard in the stash which is older than my 16 year old, I remember going to the Fabric Warehouse opening and buying this under the Viaduct in Newmarket-I still have many other bits from this foray!!




I love how this pattern has turned out. It was a challenge because the pattern has little finishing (as designed for polar fleece) but the end result is wonderful. I am excited to find that I am able to make Burda size 48 with minimal alteration - only need to shorten the armhole - shoulder pads added to this garment eliminated this here.




Following help from others at Stitchers Guild, I used a Hong Kong finish for the seams and cotton batiste for the interfacing.




This is the first time that I have ever used this finish or a non iron on interfacing. The results are better than I expected and I intend to use these more often. I particularily like the large collar and it is very attractive on.






Here is the jacket with the buttons closed. I now have to sew somethings to go with this!! I know it is an extravagant material to use as a muslin but I am in stash busting mode and some things just have to go.








1 comment:

Diana said...

This is beautiful!! But how about posting a photo of you wearing it. I always so love to see garments on people.