Monday, December 29, 2008

Overcoming fears

This must be a blue moon month as here I am again.





The title refers to my total dislike of altering patterns which I'm sure is really because it is a very scary thing to attack a pattern and change it. I fell in love with this New Look pattern (6559) at Global Fabrics.






Long story, this shop is my favorite place for buying fabric... they know me well and for Christmas they sent all their mailing list customers a $20 present valid for the month of December. Well we are two and a half hours away from Global in Auckland and a trip needs to be planned, however DH needed to look at a crashed up Ducati north of Auckland, for a friend in Aussie, so I seized the opportunity!

DD and I went shopping while BIL and DH went to look at Tech Books. We had a ball, she bought some wonderful check for shorts and some Tshirting, I bought some mesh to make this bolero with the ties. I also couldn't pass up some dress material and some silk to go with the jacket made in the last post. The pattern above only goes up to 18 but I was sure that I probably would be able to add some to it to fit so I bought it.



At home at last I copied the pattern and discovered it was just too small all over; I am a size 22/48. Desparate to make this I copied a Tshirt pattern from Burda WOF 4/2003 no 147 and morphed the pattern to resemble the New Look pattern and this is the result.





I needed to change the side seams as tieing the front pulls the seam well to the front but everything else is great. I redid the front and back seams and have cut another one out which I am off to sew after this. If all the bugs are out I am going to finally cut into my mesh from Global. And I can't help but keep trying this on, I am very pleased with myself at creating my own version of this New Look pattern.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Your shrug is very nice. Congratulations on solving your fitting problem. A really good book on fitting is Fitting Savy by Sandra Betzina. I highly recommend it.
Also good luck on finding that teaching job (from a retired teacher to a new teacher). Diana

SewRuthie said...

That has worked really well. Glad you are sewing along with us on Stitcher's Guild.